Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Openings: Expanding the Repertoire

Lately, I've been taking an increased interest in openings. I'm beginning to expand my repertoire. Part of this is also due to the fact that by having many systems at my disposal, it will be more difficult for my opps to prepare against me. So, I am evolving my repertoire to include more Benoni's and Queen's Gambit games against 1. d4. For now, I'll stick with my Scandy, but I've started to take an interest in the Caro Kann and the Sicilian against 1. e4. The problem there is that I haven't settled on a system for those two openings that I really want to pursue. For white, I'll stick with 1. e4 for now (and maybe indefinitely), although I really want to look into the Evans Gambit, Kings Gambit, Sicilian Yugoslav Attack, and Sicilian Sozin. I'll wait a bit on those, though, as I digest more responses to 1. d4.

3 Comments:

Blogger Edwin 'dutchdefence' Meyer said...

Don't you just wish you could play em all? There are so many openings to choose from which bring about just as many adventures to be played out on the board. But we can only handle so much :-( It is hard to stick with the ones you choose to go with, because time and time again you come across a game in which you see an opening played which tickles your curiousity...

4:04 PM  
Blogger Zek said...

1. d4 d5 = It's not quite that simple, but often it seems so. The Slav is rather easy to play.

The Caro-Kann lacks real counter- attacking chances.

The King's Gambit is quite powerful, but just stick to the Bishop's Gambit.

4:24 PM  
Blogger CelticDeath said...

edwin,

Well, there are some that I definitely don't want to play, because they don't appeal to my style of play. However, I noticed by going through the Zurich 1953 book just how many different openings the GM's play against each other. So, I want to expand upon my repertoire gradually, but also sensibly. I don't plan to go away from the openings I already play, but I want to add to that base repertoire and create some more variety in my games.

Christopher,

At this point, I'll probably only play 1. d4 d5 occasionally, and I'm looking at QGA right now. I may add QGD later on, but, as you say, that's a LOT of theory. I'll still keep the KID as my main response to 1. d4.

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home