Thursday, February 02, 2006

2006 Twin Cities Championship, Round 3

Well, I already know the result of this round - two weeks in advance. Not only does this round fall on St. Valentine's Day, but it's also the date my oldest daughter had chosen for me and her to attend a basketball game. She earned straight A's in school, so she was rewarded with 2 free college basketball tickets. So, I can't disappoint her, and I must sit out of one round of the championship. This also means that even if I win all of my remaining games, chances are likely that I still won't be able to win this year's trophy and the title of champion. Ah well, maybe next year....

***UPDATE***

I was finally able to reach the tournament director, and he said that he has polled several people in the club, many of whom have stated also having problems with the Valentine's Day-scheduled Round 3. Therefore, he's considering cancelling chess club for Feb. 14th, but he hasn't completely made up his mind. He said he needs to talk to some more people and will decide by Feb. 7th.

8 Comments:

Blogger David Glickman said...

No option for a 1/2 point bye? :)

2:14 PM  
Blogger CelticDeath said...

I've never seen it done at club events. If we show, and pay our $1 rating fee, we play a rated game. Otherwise, we get a "u" and go unrated. I suppose it's worth a shot, though, so I'll e-mail my TD and see what he thinks.

2:23 PM  
Blogger Sancho Pawnza said...

Your TD should allow a 1/2 point bye, and if that's out of the question ask about a make-up game with your opponent. It's really stupid to have a tournament round scheduled the same time as such a widely recognized event as Valentine's Day anyway.
Being a TD myself I would never invite a conflict of interest between husband and wife, or boyfriend and girlfriend, or whatever the case may be.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Pale Morning Dun - Errant Knight de la Maza said...

Caissa smiles upon you in the name of love. Hope you get it postponed!

12:52 PM  
Blogger CelticDeath said...

I left a message in the Illinois Chess Association forum awhile back, before the TD called me and spoke with me. Yesterday, someone from the club mentioned that the TD had told him the round was postponed. I'm banking that this is the case.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Temposchlucker said...

How did your endgame study with CET work out? Have you finished it, did it yield results?

10:05 AM  
Blogger CelticDeath said...

I kinda quit doing that after my son was born. Lately, I've gone back to the pawn endings, but I haven't been as regimented with it as I need to be. My focus lately has been on strategy using Chess Mentor, which I think has made some marked improvements to my game. However, my endgame play is definitely lacking, so I plan to get back to some intensive endgame study at some point, but I haven't determined the timing of it.

11:29 AM  
Blogger Zek said...

Good luck in the tournament. Sometimes in weekend tournaments I prefer a bye to prevent burnout.

3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home