Sunday, March 26, 2006

New (Old) Plan

Time to begin learning again. Now, I have been working on improving my strategic play with Chess Mentor. I plan to continue that. However, my endgame play is very weak, so I need to address that shortcoming in my game. I've lost too many "won" games recently due to botching the endgame that I really need to do some serious work. So, it's time to pick up where I left off last year when my son was born. Time to resume the 7 Circles of Death. I plan to go back to the method I used with my tactics circles. So, for each theme (e.g., pawn endings, rook endings, etc.) I will do 7 mini-circles using Chess Endgame Trainer by Convekta. Once I make it through the problem set in that manner, I will then do 7 macro-circles over the whole 2500 or so problems.

6 Comments:

Blogger Temposchlucker said...

Do you use a book for theoretical endgame knowledge too or do you do only the exercises of CET? (maybe it is time to make a post with all abbreviations we use)

5:25 AM  
Blogger CelticDeath said...

I haven't planned on using a book, too, but that's not because I'm closed to the idea. I just don't know of a really good, comprehensive endgame book that would be a good supplement. Have you any suggestions?

6:02 AM  
Blogger Temposchlucker said...

I haven't found a book yet that really saves me time. But Fundamental Chess Endings from Muller and Lamprecht is a very good reference work.

12:02 PM  
Blogger King of the Spill said...

Since the beginning I have been wondering about what would be the best software or book for doing circles on endgame problems, so I look forward to see your take on Convekta's program. I found Chessmaster to be a great introduction for endgames and the Euwe book for reference. Fundamental Chess Endings sounds interesting.

4:23 PM  
Blogger CelticDeath said...

King, I got almost through a full circle with CET last year, but quit with the birth of our son. It seems to be mostly a good software. The more time I spend with it, and the more I reflect on how close some of my endgame losses have been to wins, the more I see that it's just as important for me to get endgame patterns into my head as it was for tactics. I know the software won't cover every eventuality, but I hope that it covers enough material that it will cut down on the bad decisions I tend to make in the endgame.

5:12 PM  
Blogger katar said...

"But Fundamental Chess Endings from Muller and Lamprecht is a very good reference work."

I'd say the preliminary issue is whether you want a reference book or a digestible read-it-cover-to-cover book?

I've read Flear's Improve your endgame and am reading now Alburt's Just the facts. Alburts is a bit better but both are good cover-to-cover books. But with your fancy software i'm not sure you need a book.

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home