Thursday, December 01, 2005

Ju-jitsu Musings #2

One thing I've noticed about myself is that I'm simply lacking in the personal drive category. My ju-jitsu classes are 1 hour and 45 minutes long. The last 15 minutes are grueling and consist of sparring rounds of varying length (usually 3 or 4 minute rounds). I was a big wuss last night, and I have been on some other nights as well. Now, I'm not the most conditioned person in the world, but there are others in my dojo who aren't much more fit than I am. However, when it came down to the last couple minutes of my round last night (we only did one round last night, because we had done some other conditioning drills earlier), I just about didn't complete the round. On other nights, when we have had multiple rounds, I have actually sat out when I felt too exhausted to continue. What I should have done was push myself in those instances to continue through the exhaustion.

The same is true in chess. If I get into an inferior position, there are times when I give up or quit much too soon. When I finish my analysis of my recent OTB loss, you'll see where I make a tactical blunder (in an already inferior position) and then continue to play in an inferior manner culminating in an exchange sac that effectively gives up the game for me.

Ok, I have stated the problem, so now I have to attempt a solution. For ju-jitsu, I simply have to get in better condition. Also, now that I have advertised this weakness, perhaps I will now strive to push myself harder in practice to build this mental toughness. For chess, I need to play just a little more carefully in inferior positions. In general, I need to avoid exchanges, but also seek as much counterplay as I can generate. Finally, I should force myself to play until I'm mated (for at least a while) to help cure my resign early attitude.

11 Comments:

Blogger Temposchlucker said...

In a lost position I play thru untill there is no venom in the position anymore. In dutch we have a saying "if you are a piece behind, you have to play a piece better. The pun is lost in translation, I'm afraid.

Especially when I see that my opponent is annoyed I continue. Annoyance is a bad state of mind to play chess.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

The quit instinct is especially bad in Web Correspondence chess. Over the board I'm convinced if I can err so can my opponent, I tend to take some cheap shots and hope for the best. In true MDLM form I often win OTB games because those tactical cheap shots pay off.

In corres I'm convinced that my opponents won't fall for cheap shots and I should resign. Often in a middle game situation with equal (or mostly equal) material I end up feeling this way. A lack or space or defending against a suffocating attack can become a really heavy burden to bear in the slow pace of correspondence.

1:54 PM  
Blogger CelticDeath said...

Lliamah, I want to play in both teams, U1800 and U2000. Are you saying that you also have formed a U2000 team? If not, then I think we're okay, and I will play on both teams. If you are meaning that you have also formed a U2000 team, then I must apologize, because I did not know this and had already accepted fege's offer.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Hey CD,

Is there a way to go to the next exercise in ChessMentor using the keyboard instead of the mouse?

PS

3:51 AM  
Blogger CelticDeath said...

I'm not sure, PS. I always use the mouse.

1:05 PM  
Blogger phorku said...

How about Sunday 0830 Fics time?

7:27 AM  
Blogger CelticDeath said...

We will most likely be at church at that time. Anytime on Sunday FICS 1200 or later would work. Are you available then?

8:25 AM  
Blogger phorku said...

How about Sunday at 1800 FICS time?

11:24 AM  
Blogger CelticDeath said...

Works for me. See you then, Phorku.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Temposchlucker said...

CD,
If you assume the average use of time of your opponents is 100% in OTB-games, how would you estimate your own time usage? More or less than 100%?

11:24 AM  
Blogger CelticDeath said...

I think that when I'm playing my best chess, I use most of my allotted time. When I play my worst chess, it's usually the case that I use very little time.

In my win over the Class A player a few weeks ago, he used most of his time, but still lost (he actually was in time trouble). In my recent loss against the Class C player, if I remember correctly he used slightly more time than I did.

So, I think proper use of time is important to whether I win or lose. The key word is "proper." In the loss, I did use up plenty of time, but my thought process wasn't efficient. After getting into a bad position from the opening, I failed to play proper defense and the position fell apart (I did the same thing in my game against Phorku).

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home