Tuesday, November 29, 2005

The Make or Break Game: Broken

Well, I was leading the Nov - Dec tournament (one round per week) going into this round, but lost. I didn't play the person I expected to play, but instead played someone I'd never played before (non-blitz) who plays in a quite similar style as I do. He's very tactically strong, as well, but he also has a stronger command than I of the endgame and overall conduct of the middlegame. I am doing some heavy analysis of the game, and I will publish it as soon as it's completed. He is rated 1594, so that makes my current rating around 1530 or so. Looks like 1600 is only a remote possiblity this year. On the plus side, with my analysis, I will become intimately familiar with the opening variation played (Scandinavian - Portuguese Variation).

7 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

Bummer about the loss. I wouldn't give up on 1600 just yet though. How many more rated games can you get in between now and the end of the year?

8:15 AM  
Blogger CelticDeath said...

Probably only 3 games. I could play in a tournament in December that's nearby, which would bring it to 7, but I'll have to play that one by ear (read: how bad of a fit will the wife have if I go to it).

In a way, I'm not too upset about the loss in that I am learning an awful lot from it. I made misevaluation errors in an opening variation that I have little experience playing (most of my opps avoid it). So, it's certainly a game that qualifies for some very heavy analysis. When I get done looking at this game, I'll know the proper play of the Portuguese variation sideways, backwards, and frontwards.

8:24 AM  
Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Sorry to hear about the loss.

PS

12:33 PM  
Blogger Temposchlucker said...

It's a pity. At least chess is good for characterbuilding. It learns you how to handle disappointments:)

3:20 PM  
Blogger Ed Doyle said...

Hey loosin is learnin. Sure we say Buaidh no bas but we also say Ní hé lá na báistí lá na bpáistí. Which means kind of when the going gets though the tough etc. (Or a more literal translation is bad weather is not for children).

better luck with the next one.

4:00 PM  
Blogger Pale Morning Dun - Errant Knight de la Maza said...

Sorry to hear about the loss. I was rootin' for ya. I may suck, but I play the Portughese variation of the Scandy quite a bit. I'm looking forward to seeing the game even though you didn't grab the point.

9:33 PM  
Blogger CelticDeath said...

I've did a LOT of study on this variation on Tuesday and Wednesday. My focus in the analysis will be mainly where I screwed up and that was in the opening. So, I hope to present some good ideas on how the Portuguese should be played by Black (using Fritz and opening references as aids, of course).

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home