Tuesday, November 15, 2005

On Evil, Wicked Scandy Players (or how I bagged my first Class A Player)

J'adoube has discussed his travails against evil, demonic Scandy players. There is maybe another person to join him tonight in this assessment. I just won a game against the highest rated player in our club (and one who has given me plenty of grief over the board in the past) with the black pieces using the Icelandic Gambit. He is rated a full 325 pts higher than I. This was my first master level performance at 2218, per the USCF rating calculator. My rating now (after last week's draw against a 1776 rated player) will be about 1536. If I can cross the 1550 barrier (if memory serves), I will have a floor established at 1400. I am still in shock and exaltation after this win. It is late here, but you can definitely expect to see some analysis of this game in the near future.

4 Comments:

Blogger CelticDeath said...

That's what I always thought. Someone from my club was the one that told me about the 1550 stuff (so I'm not sure if it's right or not). I also came across something on the Net that said the floor is 100 points below the rating if the rating is 1600 or less. I don't know what is correct!

3:22 PM  
Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Wow, your first Class A player?! Congrats! Can't wait to see the game. The CTS must be paying off.

PS

8:45 PM  
Blogger CelticDeath said...

It definitely is, Pawn Sensei. I have absolutely NO doubts about that at all. I checkmated him, and the whole tactical theme was a variation of one I'd seen many times working the CTS puzzles. I've got the critical position posted, and I'll show the entire game after everyone who wants to has had a stab at solving the final combination.

10:34 PM  
Blogger King of the Spill said...

Way to go!

2:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home