Friday, February 25, 2005

2005 Greater Peoria Open

I'm playing in my first, big non-scholastic tournament tomorrow, so I won't be doing much posting for the next couple of days. Then, I want to catch upon on my analysis of both my Round 6 Twin Cities Championship game and the 5 rounds of g/120 I'll be dealing with starting tomorrow and ending Sunday. I have a good feeling about my game going into this tournament, so let's hope that my thought process is in line and my head is on straight. After my recent OTB results are tallied, I should be just under 1500 USCF. I'd like to see if I can get to 1550 after this tournament.

***UPDATE***
Well, I scored 3.0 out of the 5 rounds. It was enough for me to share the prize for top Class C player with one other person. My first game was against an Expert, and I had a pretty good attack going, but he defended wisely and I ended up in a losing endgame. My second game was against an 1100 rated player, and I won that one after my opponent undertook a bad combination. My third game was against a 1440 player, and I was able to use some tactics against him to land me the win. My 4th round was against a Class B player. I had a winning position, but this time it was I who undertook a bad combination and then I lost. My last round game was against a 1560 rated player, and it was a hard-fought game. I was able to get into an ending where I had 2 pawns, knight, and king against my oppenent's king and knight. I was able to convert the point, which enabled me to split 1st place for the Class C prize.

11 Comments:

Blogger Pale Morning Dun - Errant Knight de la Maza said...

CD,
Good luck!

3:35 PM  
Blogger Temposchlucker said...

Throw the sink at them!

6:38 PM  
Blogger King of the Spill said...

Good Luck!

7:42 PM  
Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Go get im CD!

PS

2:48 PM  
Blogger Pawnsensei said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Margriet said...

Good luck, and have fun!
Can we follow this tournament on internet?

12:44 PM  
Blogger CelticDeath said...

Margriet, no, the tournament wasn't big enough for that. I was actually expecting it to be bigger than it turned out being. Ah well!

8:06 PM  
Blogger Margriet said...

Anyway, I hope you'll meet new and interesting opponants to beat...

9:07 PM  
Blogger Temposchlucker said...

So the results start to come!

4:40 AM  
Blogger CelticDeath said...

You are very correct, TempoSchlucker! With the exception of one game, my tactics were very solid which raised the level of my game. The expert I played told me I was a very strong chessplayer and that I didn't play like a 1500 rated player. If I would have taken my time with the game against the Class B opponent, I would have seen that the tactic was unsound. I just got impatient.

5:31 AM  
Blogger CelticDeath said...

You are so right, Logis. Even in my losses, I could have fought on longer. I think that even though they would have had a material disadvantage they would still have to "prove" themselves in the endgame.

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home