Wednesday, March 16, 2005

The Key to Tactics Success

Nezh got me thinking about how does one become good at tactics. In my view, success in tactics is comprised of skill in three areas: visualization, calculation, and pattern recognition. You need to master all three to become a tactical whiz. How does one do this? Working simple tactical puzzles is a good way to develop pattern recognition. The more difficult problems works on the other two legs of the tripod. What the MDLM circles attempt to do is to be an exercise program to develop tactical muscle by working on each of these components of tactical skill. Since visualization and calculation are the most difficult of the 3 sub-skills, his program saves them for last with his advice of working tactics of increasing levels of difficulty. I'm not doing this, because I think I'm decently developed in the three areas (although I still manage to blunder on occasion). So, I'm working tactical circles by theme instead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home