Friday, March 18, 2005

Over-worked Pieces and Removing the Guard, pt. 3: Aggressive Tacking

I'm learning something new from working on my current theme puzzles. It is the art of aggressive tacking. Tacking, as some may know, is simple maneuvering in chess in an attempt to improve one's position. However, I think tacking is done best when it involves threat creation. Several of the longer and more difficult puzzles involving over-worked pieces and removal of the guard often involve a simple piece move that serves to distract a piece that is performing a vital function. Once that piece moves, the winning combination occurs. I think this has implications beyond middlegame tactics. I could see where this idea may come in handy in the opening, especially as a way to develop your pieces faster than your opponent can.

3 Comments:

Blogger Margriet said...

This is a great skill!
when I learned this tactic I discovered that I did not need to count moves anymore!

1:04 AM  
Blogger Temposchlucker said...

Is what you describe not just a preparational move or do I understand you wrong?

4:42 AM  
Blogger CelticDeath said...

Margriet, yes indeed! :)

Tempo, yes, it is a preparational move, but it would involve making threats that would require the opponent to either address them or suffer some disadvantage. Perhaps an example of this would be moving a rook behind a knight to set up a discovered check when any move by the opp simply does not successfully meet the threat created.

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home