Monday, February 14, 2005

Double Double Attack Attack

I've nearly completed Circle 1 on the double attack. I've begun to do better at them the farther along I've gone and 3 and 4 move puzzles are now within my grasp. There are still some (especially the longer ones) that simply stump me, and I'm forced to run to the answer section. Fortunately, when I have had to do that, the answer makes sense to me, and I don't think I'll have as big a problem with them when I begin Circle 2.

I also did some problems from Convekta's Strategy 2.0 program. As I worked through some of those problems, I found it remarkable just how important tactics are for implementing strategy. I even found a few instances where my current tactical theme of study was used. Another thing I noticed was how often material would be sacrificed temporarily for some other advantage, usually for the attack, only to be returned later (with a better or equal position). This is something I need to think long and hard about, because this, IMHO, is the key to becoming a great chess player.

3 Comments:

Blogger Temposchlucker said...

I'm doubting to purchase Convekta's Strategy 2.0
What's your advice, is it worth it's money?

12:59 PM  
Blogger CelticDeath said...

As is many the case when it comes to making an advisement on how to study chess, the answer I'm afraid is "that depends." I knew it was time for me to learn strategy when I started facing opponents who didn't make a lot of tactical errors. So, I decided that I needed to learn strategy to help cultivate tactical opportunities. I already digested Pachman's Modern Chess Strategy book. However, I felt I needed some software to see how much I really had learned. It turns out that I have a long way to go.

In short, it's a pretty good piece of programming. It's got some bugs, as all Convekta software seems to have, but it helps me think beyond "ok, is there an opportunity to fork his king and rook." Now, I have to think "ok, if I move this pawn here, he has to move his bishop there, which weakens this square here and then I can win a pawn."

1:41 PM  
Blogger CelticDeath said...

Heh, heh! I don't think you have too much to fear from a game against me at this point, Logis. I can see the light through the trees, but I think I'm still only halfway through the forest. My top priority this year was to get my thought process nailed down. Even tactics are secondary to that. I have asked myself..."how did a kid like Hikaru Nakamura become a master in 3 years?" Granted, his stepfather is a chess master and a great chess coach...but what did his stepfather teach him in those 3 years? My guess is he had to teach him first how to think. I don't have the luxury of a chess coach father, so I have had to work on my thought process through trial-and-error and a lot of skepticism over the conclusions I have reached. Hopefully, this will begin paying dividends over the board. I am doing well in the OCL this year, but I know I have not played the best chess I can play. Still lost in the woods, but I can begin to see daylight!

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home