Friday, February 11, 2005

Knight Forks Progress, II

Busy day at work yesterday, but I managed to complete Circle 2. I also did 42 problems this morning from Circle 3. My plan is to complete Circles 3 & 4 tonight unless I'm scheduled to play an OCL game in my Chessville tourney.

One thing I'd like to relate is something that happened last night along the lines of what De La Maza wrote had happened to him. I was completing Circle 2 last night in the bathtub (one advantage of a book over software!). I was mentally exhausted from my workday as well as from the tactics exercises. A couple times, I had to lay the book down and close my eyes and nap. I began dreaming about knight fork puzzles! After I would come to, I'd check to see if my dreamed up solutions were even close to relevant for the puzzles at hand. They didn't seem to be, but those were interesting occurrences nonetheless....

9 Comments:

Blogger David Glickman said...

Now if we could just find some twenty-something young ladies to join the Knights, the notion of doing tactical chess problems in the bath would be much more appealing.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Josh said...

i'm interested to know what type of person spends their free time dreaming of knight fork circles...seems so foreign to me. why the obsession with chess?

12:24 PM  
Blogger CelticDeath said...

DG, heh, heh! My wife might object strongly to that, unfortunately. :)

Payne, I'm not even sure if it's an obsession with chess so much as it's an obsession with becoming the best we can be at something. Chess just happens to be that something we have chosen. I think part of the reason the pursuit of chess excellence is our chosen endeavor has a lot to do with how difficult a thing chess mastery is as well as its overall mysteriousness and arcane nature.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It only gets worse from here. Sometimes I wake myself up from sleep because I'm dreaming about a tactical exercise.

It's not all that unusual to dream about your waking hours activities. . .back when I was studying for one of my Sun Certifications, I would dream about writing Java code.

If really begins to be fun if you are a lucid dreamer. . .

2:02 PM  
Blogger CelticDeath said...

I could start a whole new blog on Lucid dreaming, OOBE's, and (as more frequently affects me) sleep paralysis. Fortunately or unfortunately, I haven't had any chess-related experiences in that regard, though.

4:30 PM  
Blogger King of the Spill said...

Hello.

Uh, napping in the tub?! Haven't heard of that approach to chess :).

Spill

11:35 PM  
Blogger Temposchlucker said...

Scientific research found out that what you learn during the day is put to memory during the REM-sleep. So dreaming about chess is a good sign.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Don Q. said...

I've never had a chess out of body experience though there have been several tournaments games where I have wished for one.

7:45 AM  
Blogger CelticDeath said...

...and severing your opponent's silver cord during a game has just GOT to be against the rules!

8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home