Thursday, February 10, 2005

Knight Forks Progress

Last night, I completed Circle 1 of the 72 knight fork problems in Reinfeld's 1001 Winning Chess Sacrifices and Combinations. This morning, before work, I began Circle 2 and completed 33 of them. I plan to finish circle 2 tonight. Tomorrow, I'll try and complete circles 3 and 4. Saturday, I'll complete circles 5-7, and on Sunday, I'll begin Circle 1 of the next chapter - double attack. After I finish circle 7 of double attack, I'll be nearly a third done with the book. What I plan to do after I finish the last chapter of the book is to work another 7 circles, but this time with the whole book. I may even divide the book up into 4 chunks and do a sort of recap 7 circles on those chunks before attempting the whole book at once. One thing I'm noticing is that CT-Art 3.0 problems at level 50 or harder are more difficult than the most difficult ones I'm encountering in 1001 WSC. I'm not sure what that means at this point....

2 Comments:

Blogger CelticDeath said...

It's just a way of cementing the idea into my longterm memory. Even NM Heisman says that one should work on tactics everyday, solving puzzles. The circles idea is just an attempt to do this in a comprehensive, organized fashion. With a strong command of a variety of tactical situations, I'll feel more comfortable at the board in the knowledge that the only real work that I will have to do OTB will be in arriving at the proper strategy.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Pawnsensei said...

I second what Celtic Death said. It may be boring to some, but I for one am having a blast solving puzzles day after day. And doing the same puzzles doesn't bore me yet because at my level the same puzzles are still hard to solve the second time around. Once they get boring I will move to a new set because then I will have all those patterns memorized.

As far as the drill instructor thing goes, if you have ever ran track in high school (not cross country of course) you would understand the purpose of doing circle after circle after circle, every single day.

PS

4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home