Friday, September 23, 2005

Midwest Class Championship

On Oct 15-16, I will be participating in the largest (non-scholastic) chess tournament I will have ever attempted. I will be playing other Class C opps, for the whole tournament, and there is a chance for a decent payday ($2,000 for the Class C winner, plus prizes for the next 4 placers). Not only that, but if by some stroke of luck, I would win either the top prize or second place ($1,000), the USCF would set my ratings floor at 1600. So, I would never be able to fall below 1600 in the ratings system, and would be at least a Class B player forever.

8 Comments:

Blogger Edwin 'dutchdefence' Meyer said...

I wish you well.

8:59 PM  
Blogger JavaManIssa said...

yeah, good luck! Sounds like a heap of fun :)

9:12 PM  
Blogger Temposchlucker said...

Do you allready know what you are going to do with the money?:)
The part about the rating floor sounds weird. Looks to me like a sure way to inflate ratings.

3:25 AM  
Blogger Nezha said...

> a Class B player forever.

Hmm.. not a nice sounding statement this is..

3:17 AM  
Blogger CelticDeath said...

Thanks, everyone, I can sure use the encouragement!

Tempo, I don't mind about the floor. It will be difficult to achieve, but, of course, 2 people (potentially - I don't know how USCF treats shared prizes in the case of ties) will win in each class.

8:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good Luck CD, keep us updated!

Tempo, (I think) the ratings floor is meant to stop sandbaggers (players who play well below their ability so they can win big money in tournaments like this, then play really bad in smaller tournaments (or club play) in order to decrease there rating so they can play in the U1600 section again in the big money tournament and win it again. I hope that makes sense.)
Anyway, good luck!

10:21 AM  
Blogger JavaManIssa said...

haha, i wonder who does that. sounds so evil!

5:52 PM  
Blogger Temposchlucker said...

DPJ, I think I'll never get used to American customs:)

3:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home