Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Twin Cities Chess Club, 9/20/05

I played the #22 ranked (in the US) 11 year old at Chess Club again. He is rated 1713, which is nearly 200 pts higher than I am. I managed to hold the advantage through most of the game, but made one tiny error that ended up getting me into a drawn game. Unfortunately, in time trouble, I blew the draw and lost.

Anyhow, here is the position after my opp's 8th move. He had the Black pieces.


I immediately picked up on the correct move, but discarded it after some minutes of calculation, because I simply could not find the correct follow through. Fritz helped me out there in the post-game analysis. Can you find the correct 9th move for White? Okay, that's the easy part. Now, can you find the correct way for White to follow through?

2 Comments:

Blogger JavaManIssa said...

I'm thinking perhaps

Bh7+ Kh7 Ng5+ Kg8 threat looks quite forced

Bh7+ Kh7 Ng5+ Kg6 Qd3+ if Kh6 then Nf7+ wins queen

Bh7+ Kh7 Ng5+ Kg6 Qd3+ f5 ef? well i can't be bothered thinking.. but thats what i see after a minute of thinking..

4:39 AM  
Blogger bahus said...

Yes, finding the first move is the easy part here..

1.Bxh7+ Kh7 2.Ng5+ A classic Greek Gift. Black king is usually doomed if he tries to retreat back to 8th rank. I've read something about the anatomy of this sacrifice from G.Burgess (The Mammoth Book of Chess), hopefully I one day reach this chapter in the Vukovic's Art of Attack (a great book but for some reason I never have time to study it...).

a.) 2...Kh8?? 3.Qh5 Kg8 4.Qh7#

b.) 2...Kh6?? Nf7+ wins queen

c.) 2...Kg8?? 3.Qh5 Re8 4.Qh7+ Kf8 5.Qh8+ Ng8 6.Nh7+ Ke7 7.Bg5+ Kd7 (7...f6 8.Qxg6#) 8.Bxd8

d.) 2...Kg6! 3.Qg4 threat is to take black queen with discovered check

(3.Qd3+ is another move that white can use in this sac but I can't see a win for white this time after 3...f5 3...f5 4.exf6+ ep. Kxf6)

3...f6 4.Nxe6+ Kh7 (4...Kf7 5.Nxd8+) 5.Qh4+ wins queen

3...f5 4.Qg3! (4.exf6 ep. Kxf6 and black king is getting away) 4...Qe8 5.h4 now black king is in trouble, threat is h4-h5 and discovered check Nxe6+ once king steps to h6 square - mating focal-point is g7.

It would be nice to hear what Fritz recommened.

- bahus

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home