Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Into the Breach....

The mini-circles are over. The Uber Kreise have begun. It's amazing just how much I have forgotten from the first mini-circles (especially on the long variation problems). My solve rate on the pinning section I estimate to be around 50%. Although my solve % is much higher on the next section (knight forks), I don't feel comfortable doing only 3 Uber Kreise which would have made me a graduate by this coming Sunday. I will add another Uber Kreis that will spread the Reinfeld book over this week. The following week will be my last week on the program.

I have already begun post-program preparations. My next step is to join Vic in endgame studies. I was going to study strategy, but GM Susan Polgar on her blog recommends that endgame study follow tactics. I defer to her greater wisdom on this subject. For my endgame studies, I will be using Convekta's Chess Endgame Training software consisting of some 2450 problems. I plan to spread these out over the remainder of the year. My wife is due with our 3rd child sometime this August, so there may be a gap where I simply cannot study (although this is hopefully not the case - thank God for helpful mothers-in-law). At any rate, I will probably take a similar path as I have done with tactics. I will do mini-circles on each theme followed by Uber Circles on the whole problem set. My target finish date is December 31, 2005.

Buaidh No Bas.

10 Comments:

Blogger Pawnsensei said...

CD,

I don't remember if I congratulated you on your third baby yet. In any case, congratulations!

PS

1:16 PM  
Blogger CelticDeath said...

I've already done several of the exercises, Jens, and it's pretty good. Be sure and download the patch from the Convekta website, though, as the diagnostics are buggy (the meter doesn't work for the Rook endgames section on mine without the patch).

1:29 PM  
Blogger CelticDeath said...

Thank you, Pawn Sensei!!

1:39 PM  
Blogger Temposchlucker said...

De dood of the gladiolen!

4:42 PM  
Blogger CelticDeath said...

Kind of a mix of Dutch and Deutsch, Tempo! The Death of the Gladioli?

5:00 PM  
Blogger Temposchlucker said...

It's plain Dutch.
De dood = The death
of = or (!)
de gladiolen = the gladioluses (the kind of flowers you get when you win a stage of the Tour de France)

Gerrie Kneteman was a Dutch cyclist who escaped from the peloton and won a stage. He said that he thought at the moment he escaped "de dood of de gladiolen!" "Buaidh No Bas!"

7:02 PM  
Blogger Temposchlucker said...

BTW in the Netherlands we use it in a chessgame at the moment we reach the point of no return and start to throw the sink at the opponent. When you tell it to a chessfriend in the lobby.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

Congrats, and best of luck with Die Uber Kreise!!!

7:20 PM  
Blogger Pale Morning Dun - Errant Knight de la Maza said...

CD,
Good luck with the upcoming Uber Kreise. And from there it is endgames....may Caissa give you strength!

7:55 PM  
Blogger CelticDeath said...

Tempo, Ahhh, I see! Sort of like saying "destroy everything - even the flowers."

Blue Devil and PMD, Thanks!!!

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home