Tuesday, May 10, 2005

The Final Theme Group: The Helpless King and The Weakened Castled Position

I was up until 2:00a this morning, but I finally completed the X-ray Attack, Surprise Moves, Defensive Combos, Trapped Man, and Zugzwang chapter grouping. I've now completed 7 mini-circles, as Blue Devil, calls them on 870 tactics problems of varying degree of difficulty. I have 131 to go over the next two weeks before I begin my 7 circles of the entire 1001 problem set of Reinfeld's 1001 Winning Chess Sacrifices and Combinations. I doubt that it will take me the 2-3 weeks it's taken me to do the mini-circles, because I'm already familiar with the problems. After all, I solved over 500 yesterday, if you count the repetition of circles. I should be done by early to mid-June.

3 Comments:

Blogger CelticDeath said...

Unfortunately, the price of my indiscretions (staying up until 2:00a) was high. Tonight was chess club, and I played a USCF 1632 rated player. Although I held my own through most of the game, I eventually slipped and lost.

10:38 PM  
Blogger Temposchlucker said...

Is your feeling of struggle (see your post yesterday) over now you entered a new group theme? Or is it not theme-related?

11:50 PM  
Blogger CelticDeath said...

I think it's borderline burnout. So, I have to force myself to continue. Also, there are certain themes that I get quickly and certain ones that I struggle with doing. That's also part of it. Another thing is that I've come to certain pages where there might be 2 or 3 puzzles on the page that have solutions that are 6-9 moves long AND have significant variations to consider as well. Those "speed bumps" are hard to get past, too.

8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home