Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Starting to See the Tie-In

I feel I have a firmer grasp on tactics after my 1st circles program using Reinfeld's 1001 Winning Chess Sacrifices and Combinations. However, whenever I play against a strong opponent, say Class B or better, it often turns out that they have just as strong a grasp on tactics as I do.

In working on my endgame using Convekta's software, I'm noticing that the endgame is a field ripe with possibilities. In the endgame, as I often find working these puzzles, even GM's and Masters go wrong. I'm not finding these puzzles easy, but I am learning some of the tricks. Hopefully, by the time I've finished this current circles program, I will have a firmer grasp on what I need to do and can pull wins out of situations that may once have looked like a draw to me and draws out of once would have been losses.

You see, chess is partly about fighting spirit. To have that required fighting spirit, you have to have confidence in your chances of success (or at least loss avoidance). This is what endgame mastery is all about. The game ain't over until it's over, as Yogi Berra so aptly stated. And, endgame mastery will provide that bit of arcana necessary for me to take the heads of those who would once dominate me on the sixty-four square battleground.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pale Morning Dun - Errant Knight de la Maza said...

I fear the endgame in many respects. In fact, my lack of knowledge of the endgame can make it difficult to actually study sometimes. I'll be reading a book and the author goes through some long variation and states, "and white has a winning endgame" and I have no idea what they are talking about. There are still a whole bunch of pieces left on the board. One of these days I'm going to get serious about the endgame. For now it's tactics and the middle game.

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home