Thursday, April 21, 2005

Improve My Chess Now, GM Tisdall!!!!

I just got my latest chess book in the mail. It's Jonathan Tisdall's Improve Your Chess Now. Since my top priority this year is thought process development, I put aside my tactics book and read the first chapter that deals with a more practical approach to thinking during a chess game than Kotov's tree of analysis approach. Actually, it's more of a modification of Kotov's stated approach from his work Think Like a Grandmaster.

I began the second chapter, which deals with blindfold chess. It will take me a while to get through that chapter as it includes training exercises that require the reader to play through the games without help of diagrams or board. At any rate, I continued my Circle 3 of the Queening Combos, Vulnerable First Rank, Queen Sacs theme grouping. I hope to finish through Circle 7 by tomorrow, and possibly even tonight if I'm feeling ambitious.

I also would like to report that I won my Tuesday Chess Club game and my expected current USCF rating stands at 1555. Class B is only 45 points away!

5 Comments:

Blogger Nezha said...

Hello,

Hey keep us posted on this book ok. I am tempted to buy this also. Particularly, the chapters on blindfold play, as I am also trying to develop that skill.

10:42 PM  
Blogger CelticDeath said...

Nezha, so far it appears to be a very good book. What is your elo? It's probably good for someone 1600-2000 elo. I will definitely keep you posted on it, though. I got to the section on the art of playing bad positions which is of PARTICULAR relevance to me! :)

8:12 AM  
Blogger knightwiz said...

Hi,

As stated by Nezha, keep us informed about your thoughts on the book. I have also interested on thought process, but by the little I saw about Kotov's aproach, it's too complicated for me. ;/

6:41 PM  
Blogger Nezha said...

My Elo:

I dont know? But Ive defeated 1800+ in FICS, and lost to 1500+ players. So I maybe somewhere in between (But this is in FICS, OTB is another matter =>)

10:16 PM  
Blogger CelticDeath said...

Sounds like you're at about the right level of play. I always consider when something indicates a certain elo to "be able to understand it" that it means the current level of play and not necessarily the actual elo rating itself.

8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home