Monday, July 18, 2005

Retooling

My game, I think is in the process of retooling. My FICS rating has dropped to what I think is its lowest yet at around 1670 or so. My last 3 games were losses to lower rated opponents. In two of the 3 games, I had distinct advantages only to mess up the win conversion. I think part of the reason is the incorporation of endgame training into my study. Now, I not only consider the strategic and tactical implications of my move choices, but also try to fit in endgame considerations. Add to this the fact that my endgame skill is nowhere where it needs to be and you have catastrophe.

I only feel a little upset about this, because I know that when it all comes together - and it will, I will be a much, much stronger player. Right now, I feel the rating system is telling me "you have added new knowledge which you are trying to use. Therefore, your rating must drop as a way of telling you to apply this knowledge in games against easier opponents at first. Once you have successfully incorporated this knowledge into your thought process, your rating will once again improve."

4 Comments:

Blogger Temposchlucker said...

Allthough my results aren't dropping, I notice the same effect. All those scanning excercises and pawn endings lately have unpredictable effects on my style op playing. The problem is, I don't know how to value the new insights during the game yet. But new areas are broached(?).

5:57 PM  
Blogger CelticDeath said...

In some ways, I think our minds are like a deck of cards. Each card is in its own special place in the deck. When we study, we add cards to the deck, and the deck gets reshuffled into the correct order. However, this reshuffling takes time and while the shuffling takes place, our thought process is scrambled and are move choices are not optimal.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Pale Morning Dun - Errant Knight de la Maza said...

Only after stepping back from the circles for a few months does it feel like I'm incorporating what I've learned effectively. When I was in the circles, my chess was actually pretty bad (it's not fantastic now, but it's better). In fact, I had taken on a whole different style of play. I've dropped back to my more positional approach, but have a keener eye on tactics.

You've gone from intense tactical study to intense endgame study, and it may be that you need a little more time to let the previous work meld into your game. I don't know. Study is very important, but effective application is where the rubber meets the road. It's something to consider.

10:50 AM  
Blogger CelticDeath said...

I was certainly getting worried over the past few weeks, PMD. Lately, though, I've seen my OTB play improve. I think the tactics are finally working themselves into my game more efficiently. I'm sure that the house of cards will once more be upset when I finish the endgame circles, but I think in the long run I will see a lot of improvement in my game. My rating may suffer in the meantime, but when the knowledge finally works itself effectively into my game, I will be a much better player.

4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home